Unbeaten Ormer Run Continues

Ormer FC welcomed UK Soccer Schools Hampshire to St Marys College for the final league game of the season on a beautiful spring afternoon. In a cagey opening quarter the Ormers dominated possession but seemed unable to raise the tempo of the game and seemed content to move the ball across the field but without real attacking intent.

The chances that did arise tended to be from distance, culminating in series of comfortable saves for Harvey Ashdown in the UK Soccer School goal. The best chance of the first quarter for the Ormers came as a result of a questionable refereeing decision as Ashdown picked up a dubious back pass. The resultant free kick was blazed high and wide of the goal by Keene Domaille.

The Ormer back line were being well marshalled by Harry Tough and Jamie Smith. However they were thankful for the linesman flag when the only chance for the UK Soccer School was called for offside after a fine through ball by Owen Lumsden splint the Ormer defence. The quarter finished 0-0.

The team talk at the interval seemed to do the trick and the Ormers quickly raised the tempo of the game as passes and movement off the ball were being conducted at speed. As a consequence the chances came thick and fast. The Ormer midfield with some neat combinations moved the ball wide to Brandon Wallace who delivered a pinpoint cross to Domaille who glanced a header agonisingly wide. Further chances were created for Domaile and Joe Adams. The latter being a screamer of a shot from 20 yards which required an athletic save from Ashdown to keep his team level.

The break-through finally came after 27 minutes as Wallace delivered a fine ball into the penalty area which was swept home first time by Ben Stevens past the helpless Ashdown. The Ormers continued to crank up the pressure and produced an outstanding piece of football to extend their lead after 33 minutes. A series of quick passes between Alex Roussel, Brandon Weysom and Wallace allowed Adams to burst forward towards the UK Soccer School goal. Adams composed himself, played a one two with Domaille and finished the move with a left foot finish.

Further chances fell for Wallace and Domaille who both went close to extending the lead before half time. The referees whistle brought to an end a scintillating 20 minutes of football and Ormer took a 2-0 lead into the break.

The third quarter continued as the previous one, with Ormer continuing to move the ball around the pitch looking to exploit any weakness in the defensive structure of the opposition. On 46 minutes the ormers extended their lead further as the ball was played from Josh Duddy into the feet of Adams who played a quick one-two with Stevens before delivering a cross into the six yard area which was bundled home by Domaille. 3-0

The goal seemed to spark the UK Soccer School into life. The very quick Leon Baker-Neto produced an outstanding piece of skill to dribble past three Ormer defenders before cutting inside and unleashing a fantastic strike which dipped wide of the far post. Baker-Neto seemed inspired by this and moments later disposed Archie Drillot before deliver another shot at goal, but it lacked the quality of his previous effort and sailed over the bar.

The Ormers continued to find opportunities at the other end with Wallace being thwarted twice. The quarter ended on a high note, with Duddy receiving the ball wide on the right. He cut inside his marker on to his favoured left foot and curled a beautiful shot which was destined for the far corner. Ashdown in the UK Soccer School goal had other ideas and produced an outstanding full stretch finger-tip save to keep his team in the game.

The final quarter kept the healthy crowd entertained as both sides produced some out-standing football. First up was Tough who spotted a hole in the UK Soccer School midfield, his speed and close control allowed him to attack the space and deliver a fine cross to Stevens at the far post but his first time finish flashed past the near post. Tough was at it again moments later as he threaded a through ball into Domaille, but his shot lacked a little composure and flashed high and wide.

On 68 minutes the Ormers stretched their lead further with an excellent team goal culminating in a fine finish. Once again the ball was being moved quickly in and around the penalty area. This time a combination of Roussel, Stevens and Domaille created a chance for Adams. With defenders strewn across the penalty area and a quickly advancing keeper, Adams found the time to retain his composure by lobbing the ball over the keeper doing just enough to clear a retreating defender on the goal line.

As the clock ticked down to full time the UK Soccer Schools registered the goal their efforts deserved and what a cracker it was. Harry White found himself with time and space on the left side of midfield. His strong run past an Ormer defender and deft touch with the outside of his right foot allowed him to cut inside the recovering Ormer players and smash a shot past Jack Hamon into the far right corner. There was still time for UK Soccer Schools to fashion another chance this time from the boot of Baker-Neto in a central free kick position. This time his curling, dipping effort was foiled by Hamon at full stretch.

The Ormers capped off their unbeaten league campaign with the final goal of the game. Wallace closed down two players outside the UK Soccer School area and his resultant tackle fortuitously fell to Domaille who smashed an unstoppable shot across Ashdown.

Next up for the Ormers is a date with Kidderminster Harriers in the JPL Cup final to be held on the 13 May at the Aston Villa training ground.

  • Facebook App Icon
  • Twitter App Icon

2016 Ormer FC

This site was designed with the
website builder. Create your website today.
Start Now