Ormers Reach JPL Final

Despite travel delays and far from ideal warm up preparations, Ormer showed enough quality to navigate a path to the Junior Premier League National Cup Final. Ormer don’t half do things the hard way, if being drawn away in the last five rounds of the cup was not hard enough, the Ormer lads missed any opportunity of a warm up prior to kick off due to a nightmarish journey from Gatwick airport. Road traffic incidents, diversions and road-works prevented them from reaching the Evesham ground in time for kick-off. Culminating in a delay of thirty minutes and very little to prepare the team.

However, on a day when elements, notably the wind and a slightly bumpy pitch, would play their part as both teams tried to exert their passing game on the other. In turn the team out of possession pressed high up the pitch to try and enforce errors on the part of the opposition.

With the considerable wind at their backs the Ormers pressed Hereford at every opportunity. The first sight of goal in the game would fall at the feet of Ben Stevens, who pulled the ball out of the air before curling a shot just wide of the far post. Brandon Weysom then played a delicate pass into Alex Roussel who whipped the ball into Herefords penalty area, Keene Domaille went for a near post header but the Bulls keeper Henry Jack Williams punched clear any danger.

Minutes later Domaille powered past his man, before smashing a high shot over the full stretched hand of Jack Williams, there was nothing the keeper could do as the ball cannoned off the cross-bar, but lucky for him and Hereford the ball went out for a goal kick. Ormer were starting to get on top, but the wind was still causing havoc with some misplaced passes and in general both teams struggled to get their passing games going.

Ultimately the Ormer pressure would tell, Stevens chased down a ball that had been played wide to the full back. Once he had won the ball he played a pass into Joe Adams on the edge of the area, he held the ball up well before releasing to Roussel who rifled home from 18 yards into the bottom corner past the diving Jack Williams in the Hereford goal, 1.0 Ormer with 14 minutes on the clock.

Hereford showed their footballing qualities by trying to find a way into the game utilising their passing style most notably through Harrison Summers. However, as for much of the afternoon, they found it difficult to create a clear opportunity of note. This inability to open up the Ormer defence would prove costly when the Ormers broke at pace. Adams weaved his way through the Hereford midfield before chipping the ball over the backline for Domaille to burst clear and beat Jack Williams to the ball in a foot race. His lofted finish nestled in the back of the net and put the Ormers 2.0 after 31 minutes.

Just before the half time whistle blew, Harry Tough put in a brilliant last ditch tackle on the Bulls playmaker Summers as he was about the pull the trigger in front of goal. A goal mouth scramble followed, but after some bodies-on-the-line defending by the Ormer defence the ball was finally cleared to safety. There were still seconds to play in the half when Adams tried a looping shot from distance, but there was nothing for Jack Williams to worry about as the ball sailed of his bar, 2.0 H/T.

Hereford now found themselves with the wind behind them, which was growing in strength as the afternoon wore on. However, the Ormers did their best to keep the ball on the floor in tricky conditions, which quickly reaped gains and put some daylight between the two sides after only three minutes of the re-start. A passing move from the back to the front saw Domaille released on the left-hand side of the Hereford defence. His strong run into the area culminated in a ball being slotted across the face of goal to the arriving Finley Du Port, who timed his run to perfection and finished with ease, 3.0 Ormer after 38 minutes.

The same combination produced a carbon copy shortly afterwards only this time Domaille put a bit more pace on the ball, Du Port managed to get there just in time to get the touch that hit the inside of the post and into the net, 4.0 Ormer after 44 minutes. To their credit Hereford never let their heads drop and strived to the final whistle to find a way back into the game. The Bulls Harry Pitman tried to stem the tide with a long range shot that Ormer keeper Jack Hamon watched all the way. Mason Godsall would then test the concentration levels of Hamon, as his long-range shot had to be dealt with and it was with ease as Hamon held first time to keep his clean sheet intact.

The Ormer defensive unit remained firm throughout and largely restricted Hereford to shots from distance which were admirably dealt with each time by Hamon in between the Ormer sticks. Adams showed some silky skills out on the right-hand side and played a delightful cross into the box, where Michael Yalland cleared with a great defensive header. By the final whistle the Ormers had run out 4.0 winners at Evesham United’s Football Club in Worcestershire. The Guernsey lads now meet professional outfit Kidderminster Harriers academy side in the 53 team Junior Premier League National Cup Final in one of the first two weekends in May.

  • Facebook App Icon
  • Twitter App Icon

2016 Ormer FC

This site was designed with the
website builder. Create your website today.
Start Now