The Ormers Eventually Find Their Feet In Canford

Ormer FC travelled to the bright and sunny Canford 4G Arena for a return JPL league game against BC Saints. Much has changed at BC Saints since their opening day league defeat against Ormer FC, most notably a substantial change in the players available to their squad.

During the opening exchanges it was clear that BC Saints had worked on their defensive shape, creating two banks of four players which effectively broke up the Ormer attacks and enabled them to break quickly at the Ormer backline. However Jamie Smith and Harry Tough were in no mood to allow the BC Saints a clear opportunity at goal. The first real chance of the game fell to Ben Stevens who found himself in space after a through ball from Alex Roussel splint the Saints defence. Stevens raced towards goal but found Henry in the Saints goal a difficult barrier to pass as he smothered the ball away for a corner.

The opening goal did eventually come for the Ormers as once again Stevens was released on the right from an Adams pass. His powerful shot cannoned off the far post upright, but rather fortuitously fell to the following up Adams who rammed the ball home. Much of the remaining play in the quarter settled into a midfield battle as both sides tried to gain ascendency.

In quarter two the Ormers began to step up their pressure on the BC Saints goal but without their usual fluency. In part this lack of fluidity was down to the opposition’s tenacity and desire to limit the time and space for the Ormers. However, the Ormers did fashion chances. Firstly Roussel shot wide after good link up play in midfield. This was quickly followed up by Adams and Stevens being thwarted by the agility of Henry. Stevens also created a chance as he shifted the ball on to his right foot and smashed a shot from the edge of the area which flew off the outside of the post with Henry beaten.

The Ormers were made to pay for their inability to finish in front of goal as BC Saints found their way back into the game in the 37 minute. A foul on Morgan on the far right touch line resulted in a free kick. Meek lined the ball up and looked to find the head of the imposing Lister. However the delivery of the ball caught everyone by surprise as it arrowed towards the top corner of the near post. Despite Hamon’s best efforts the ball nestled in the back of the net and BC Saints had found their life line as the half time whistle blew.

The second half of the game saw the Ormers slip into gear, producing a slick passing display which had been misfiring in the first half. Within minutes of the re-start Wallace had been released by a cross field pass from Adams. Wallace breezed past the full back and pulled the ball back for Stevens to execute a composed side foot finish into the bottom corner past the helpless Henry

Adams and the hard working Roussel were now beginning to pull the strings in the Ormer midfield as once again the combination of Adams and Wallace fashioned another chance for Stevens. This time it was a shot from an acute angle by Wallace that was parried by Henry into the path of Stevens who finished with ease. As the quarter was about to end Adams once again released Wallace who teed up Stevens for the simplest of finishes. The quarter came to a close with the Ormers leading 4-1.

To their credit BC Saints did not let their heads drop and continued to fight for every ball and launch their own counter attacks when possible. However the Ormers were now in full flow. A cross-field pass from Roussel found Weysom in space who released Wallace, the resulting cross fizzed across the six yard box where Stevens timed his run to perfection at the far post for a simple tap in.

The sixth goal was the best of the bunch from a team perspective. Great one and two touch combination play between Adams, Roussel and Stevens finally resulted in an exquisite through ball by Adams to Wallace who pulled the ball back for Stevens to finish in style. As the clock ticked down Stevens found his sixth goal of the game with a spectacular shot from the edge of the area which arrowed in on the top left hand corner of the goal.

The scoring was completed with the last play of the game. Adams was fouled in a central position 25 yards from goal. Birthday boy Jamie Smith stepped up to bend the ball into the top right side of the goal for his first of the season. Final score BC Saints 1 Ormer FC 8.

Ormer FC will be in action next week with a tough looking home encounter against the rapidly improving second placed Portsmouth ITC who will be looking to avenge their defeat by Ormer FC earlier in the season.

  • Facebook App Icon
  • Twitter App Icon

2016 Ormer FC

This site was designed with the
website builder. Create your website today.
Start Now