No Slip Ups Against Paulton Rovers

The match got the go ahead in Bath, despite a frozen pitch. The conditions were far from ideal with the temperature just above freezing and the pitch surface was rock hard with icy patches still visible. The cup matches in The Junior Premier League are always played over two 35 minute halves, as opposed to four 20 minute quarters in the league, with the possibility of extra time and penalties.

Paulton Rovers were Ormers opponents in this last 16 cup clash, with the winners already knowing that undefeated Rushden & Diamonds were waiting in The Quarter Finals. It would be the home side that would create the first few chances of the match. Paulton were awarded an indirect free kick inside Ormers penalty area, after Jamie Smith’s back pass was picked up by Jack Hamon, unfortunately for Poulton the shot was unable to trouble the visitors goal.

Poulton were then presented with what was to be their best chance of the half, as Freddie Blacker went clear of the Ormer defence and created himself a one on one with Hamon, as Blacker pulled the trigger, Hamon pulled off a fine save with his right leg. Ormer then sprung into life and started playing their trademark football, even on a difficult frozen grass pitch. The Guernsey boys quick passing and movement was starting to pull Paulton all over the pitch and it was not long before Ormer would make this sustained pressure count.

Ben Stevens played a delightful cross field ball into Brandon Wallace, whose first time effort deflected straight to Joe Adams, with ease Adams let the ball cross his body and side footed into the far corner, 1.0 Ormer after 11 minutes. The next attack would see Keene Domaille have a snap-shot deflected, this time it fell kindly to Brandon Weysom, he hit through the ball well, but Poulton keeper Lewis Dowling made a really good save.

Two more chance’s came in quick succession for both Domaille and Alex Roussel, the first Domaille scuffed, but still had to be dealt with by Dowling and Roussel just went wide of the near post, but probably should have worked the keeper from close range. It was Wallace up next as the Ormers attack’s kept coming, the ball was being fizzed around and as the ball spun into Wallace, he swivelled on the half turn and shot on the half Volley, but Dowling again was equal to it.

There was nothing the Poulton keeper could do about Ormer extending their lead. Wallace took a quick throw-in to Adams, who played a neat one-two with Stevens, it then got flicked by the creative Adams into the forward thinking Domaille, who took a neat touch and finished a classic team move with a clinical finish, 2.0 after 27 minutes. Ormer almost made it three within minutes, as Wallace picked out Domaille’s off the shoulder run, he raced clear of the chasing pack, but again Dowling was on hand to thwart his effort.

As half time approached Poulton may have thought they had done enough, to only go into the break two goals down and give themselves a chance to re-group. Ormer had other ideas as Domaille would grab a brace before the half time whistle, Stevens played a delicate pass to Domaille and with his back to goal on the edge of the 18 yard box, he half turned and shot into the back of the net, 3.0 Ormer at half time.

The second half was a continuation with Ormer dominating possession and playing some lovely two touch football, to be fair to Poulton they never gave any ball up and worked as a team for the whole 70 minutes. Poulton’s tireless work rate, would get its just rewards early in the second half. A Poulton corner was whipped into the near post, Ormers Smith was under pressure and managed to get the final touch, as the ball flew into the net, 3.1 after 37 minutes.

After conceding an early goal, Ormer just set about their task and the goals started to flow. Domaille drove into the box, he held the ball up with strength and just rolled it into Adams, who finished with aplomb, to also give him a brace in the process (4.1). Finley Du Port saw Stevens overlap him down the right hand side, he slipped the ball into the space, Stevens took a couple of touches before smashing the ball past Dowling ( 5.1 ).

The game had got away from Poulton in a period of outstanding attacking football from the Ormer boys. There was to be another two well worked Ormer goals, Roussel would pull off some fine individual skill by the far by-line, before picking out Josh Duddy, who stayed well composed and hit a sweet drive that gave Dowling no chance (6.1). The next was another great Ormer move, as Du Port touched off sideways to Adams, who threaded the ball with perfection into Domaille, he did not have to break stride as he rounded Dowling and taped home from close range for his hat trick (7.1).

Adams almost got himself a hat trick, as his high pressing forced a Poulton defender into a mistake, but this time Dowling was quick off his line to avoid the danger. Poulton kept working hard and never dropped their heads and with a quick counter attack, they managed to get a deserved consolation. Blacker was put through by Jaden Ashman, as he blasted through the Ormer defence, he drew Hamon off his line and slipped the ball into the far corner.

The game finished 7.2 to Ormer, who now look forward to an exciting Quarter Final match up with unbeaten Rushden and Diamonds. The boys have been drawn away again and will have to travel to Northampton, where they will play at The Malcolm Arnold Academy Pitch on the 18th February.

  • Facebook App Icon
  • Twitter App Icon

2016 Ormer FC

This site was designed with the
website builder. Create your website today.
Start Now