Ormers Progress In The Cup

Dorset Regional Talent Centre were Ormer FC’s second round opponents, in The Junior Premier League Cup. The game was played on a brand new 4G surface at the impressive Dorset FA County Ground, with perfect conditions for football. The cup matches are played over two thirty-five minute halves, extra time and penalties if needed, as opposed to four quarters of twenty minutes in the league.

There were early warning shots from Ormer in the opening exchanges, as Ben Stevens and Keene Domaille both went close from Brandon Wallace crosses. Both teams were checking each other’s style of play out early doors and neither side were prepared to give the other time or space.

After fifteen minutes of a tight encounter, Ormer would break the deadlock in this cup tie. Wallace had made a little space for himself to get a shot off, but Charlie Barrett saved well in the Dorset goal, but the ball ricocheted back to Wallace and with great vision he passed the ball into Stevens who fired with accuracy into the corner of the net, 1.0 Ormer.

Brandon Weysom tried to double Ormers lead with a well struck half volley from the edge of the area, but Barrett was equal to the strike and held the ball well. Stevens would get his and Ormers second goal of the match, as Ormer had a period of dominance midway through the half. The ball was with Domaille who travelled well through the Dorset midfield, he drew a few defenders towards himself, before playing an incisive ball to the feet of Stevens, he steadied himself and riffled the ball into the roof of the net, 2.0 Ormer.

The Guernsey boys would take full advantage of that dominance again, as Alex Roussel played a neat one-two with Domaille, before playing in Stevens, he cut inside his man and hit a low shot. Barrett would have been disappointed not to have saved the shot, as it seemed to go through him and into the net. Stevens would pick up a first half hat-trick and put Ormer into a three-goal lead.

Ormer then came under a bit of pressure as Dorset rallied themselves back into the match and nearly scored, but for a fine fist away by Ormer keeper Jack Hamon. Dorset again went close, as Christie Ward weaved through Ormers midfield and tried his luck from distance, the ball fizzed inches wide of Hamon’s post.

A short back pass by Jamie Smith would be punished by Dorset’s inform Joe Smith. Ormers Smith under-hit his back pass and his namesake managed to get to the ball before Hamon, covering defender Harry Tough looked like he had done enough to block the ball on the line, but the linesman’s flag said otherwise and Smith had got one back on the stroke of half time for Dorset, 3.1 Ormer.

The second half had only just got under way, when a brilliant Harry Tough run caught Dorset cold. He ran from deep and created a four on one overload for Ormer, as he entered the area, he was in two minds what to do and before long a defender had managed to get back and snuff out the danger. Tough then tried to advert the danger in his own area as Dorset went on the attack, as the Dorset striker entered the Ormer box, Tough got caught the wrong side of his man and brought him down, penalty Dorset. The hard-working Ward stepped up to take the resulting penalty, which crashed against the Ormer bar and to safety, this would be a big let off for Ormer and would be a major turning point in the game.

Domaille would go on one of his characteristic runs at the Dorset defence and popped the ball out to Finley Du Port on the right hand side, he took on touch inside the area and sent the ball high over Barrett, 4.1 Ormer.

Joe Adams was next to give Domaille an opportunity and as he turned inside his man, he side footed the ball around the keeper, unfortunately for Domaille the ball came back off the foot of the post, Barney Taylor was quickest to react and side footed home from close range (5.1).

Domaille was to get a well-earned goal for all his efforts, as he held of the interest of the Dorset defence to curl the ball across Barrett, 6.1 Ormer. After the Dorset penalty miss, it was all Ormer, who controlled the second half with some fine football, to which this side is becoming accustomed to. As the game was coming to an end, there was still time for Ormer to cement their passage into the next round. Domaille tried to catch Barrett out with a first time shot, Barrett made a brilliant save, again he did not have much luck as the ball rolled into the path of Taylor. Without breaking stride Taylor cracked the ball into the top corner and send Ormer into the next round of the cup (7.1).

Ormer now go into the hat and could potentially be playing the next round in England or Wales, as Welsh club Newport County have also made it safely through.

  • Facebook App Icon
  • Twitter App Icon

2016 Ormer FC

This site was designed with the
website builder. Create your website today.
Start Now