Cherries Pipped By The Ormers

Ormer welcomed AFC Bournemouth to The Queen Mary’s 3G pitch in Basingstoke, for a Junior Premier League match. The Guernsey lads were very fortunate to make the match, as their flight had been cancelled. They did manage to get on an earlier flight, but it wasn’t the greatest of preparations.

Despite the early start the Ormers came blasting out the blocks in the first quarter. They established a very early lead and caught Bournemouth cold, within the first couple of minutes Ormer found themselves a goal to the good. After a flowing team move Joe Adams thread the ball in between two Bournemouth defenders, where Brandon Wallace was on hand to outpace the covering defender and fired with fine accuracy into the far corner, 1.0 Ormer.

Keene Domaille was next to test Will Butler in the Bournemouth goal, as his long-range effort was well held by Butler. A rampant Ormer were causing Bournemouth all sorts of problems with their slick pass and move football, it was not long before they got their second. Adams went on a marauding Messi like run, as he left four Bournemouth players trailing in his wake, before playing Ben Stevens in on the right-hand side. Stevens took one touch and smashed the ball through Butler’s legs (2.0).

The next piece of Ormer play was equally emphatic of what had gone on beforehand, as Barny Taylor whipped in an unbelievable pin point cross to the far post. As the ball found its target in the form of Wallace, he controlled first time and cracked the ball past the helpless Butler (3.0). This was Ormer at their best and a quality side like Bournemouth were totally shell shocked, but they were to get a life line before the end of quarter one. The Ormer defence were slow to close down on the edge of their own area, the ball fell kindly to Mackenzie Faull who shot right footed, the ball took a slight deflection of an Ormer defender and out of the reach of Jack Hamon in the Ormer goal (3.1).

There was a massive swing in play in quarter two, as Bournemouth dominated their host. In a complete transformation, Ormer struggled to get out of their half, as Bournemouth came at them with wave after wave of constant pressure. The pressure soon got its deserved rewards as The Cherries got back into the match. Oliver Brown’s pace and power was causing Ormer no end of problems and it was Brown who held his nerve to side foot home from close range (3.2).

The Premier League outfit were showing their class and it was not long before the score was all square. It was Brown who would be the thorn in Ormers side again, as the ball fell kindly for him just six yards out and the lively striker smashed home (3.3).

Bournemouth went in search of another goal and kept pushing, but the half time whistle blew and brought a game of two quarters to a close. The third quarter was a very close run thing, as both teams tried to stamp their authority on the other. The only goal of an enthralling twenty-minute third quarter was a goal that would have been worthy of a match winner and restored the lead for Ormer.

Wallace would send a high hanging cross into the far post, Butler came out to punch clear and a defender also tried to head away the danger. The only person to judge the flight of the ball correctly was Taylor who did not take his eye of the ball and finished in style with a side footed volley, 4.3 Ormer.

The last quarter was a classic with end to end attacks from both sides. Bournemouth showed their steel and character, as the levelled up the match for a second time. Freddie Cooper took a pot-shot from 20 yards out, that flew high over the head of Hamon and into the roof of the net (4.4), this sent the away support delirious. At this stage of the match and with about ten minutes left on the clock, Bournemouth looked the likely winners and set about their task of claiming all three points.

Ormers were to show everyone in attendance what they are about, their character and willingness to never give up was fully evident for all to see. They were to produce an outstanding piece of football, which led to them once again taking the lead. The ball was played out from the back leading to great combination play between Domaille and Adams. The pass into Adams, still left him with a lot to do as he dribbled past defenders into the Bournemouth penalty area, he composed himself and side footed into the bottom corner, 5.4 Ormer.

There was still time in this see-saw battle for another goal in the final seconds and it would come for the Guernsey lads. Harry Tough sent a long distance free kick into the far corner of the net to complete the scoring. Ormer FC 6 AFC Bournemouth 4. Ormer now turn their attentions back to Cup football this weekend coming, as they play Dorset Regional Talent Centre at The Dorset FA County Ground.

  • Facebook App Icon
  • Twitter App Icon

2016 Ormer FC

This site was designed with the
website builder. Create your website today.
Start Now