Second Half Surge Sees Ormers Safely Through

The Junior Premier League Cup is played over two lots of thirty five minute halves, which is followed by extra time and penalties if needed. This is opposed to four lots of twenty minutes for league matches. Ormer had been handed a tough first round match against North Somerset Whites, who have started their league programme with three straight victories.

The match was played at the rain soaked Beversbrook in the heart of the Wiltshire country side. Both sides would have been happy with the well-manicured pitch and the early down pours made it a nice surface to zip the ball around, as the sun came out just before kick-off.

It was North Somerset who came storming out the blocks and gave Ormer no time on the ball with their high pressing game. It was the black and pinked hoop’s that had the first early sights at goal, with Ormer keeper Jack Hamon scrambling across his goal line to cover a cross-come-shot, which went just past the far post. The game was being played mostly in the midfield, but in Ormers half. The next chance was created by some really good Somerset wing play, which eventually just fell short of opening the scoring, as the striker misjudged the flight. The pressure did finally pay off for Somerset, as Jamie Smith’s defensive clearance went straight to Freddie King, he controlled it with ease and smashed the ball into the bottom left hand corner of Ormers net, 0.1 Somerset.

The next few minutes saw Ormer try to take some control, but Somerset were equal to everything they tried and were first to every tackle and every ball. When Ormer did manage to get a rare sight on goal, Gethin Clarke was on hand to smother Keene Domaille’s shot.

Ormer’s Harry Tough then had to execute a brilliant timed tackle in the box, to stop Somerset from getting in another great goal scoring opportunity. Domaille had another great 1-on-1 chance, only this time he snatched at his shot, which the keeper managed to push out for a corner.

Somerset could and should have finished the half two goals to the good, as the right sided winger sent over a sweet curling ball to the far post, the un-rushing forward missed a tap in by inches, this brought the half to a close with Somerset deservedly leading 1 nil.

Whatever the Ormer coaching team said at half time, seemed to work a treat, as the Guernsey lads came out a different side to the one that finished the first half. There was pace and purpose straight from the off, as Ormer went in search of an equalizer. The first chance of any real note was a free kick from 25 yards out, Domaille wasted this good early opportunity, by sending in a too pacey ball, which eluded every Ormer player to go out for a goal kick. Ormer did get level and it was from a long range strike, Tough picked the ball up in midfield took a few steps and let fly from 25 yards out, before the keeper could set himself, the ball had already ripped into the roof of the net (1.1).

The next time Domaille did touch the ball it lead to an assisted goal, he played a beautiful weighted pass into Brandon Weysom’s path and he out-stripped the Somerset defence to clinically finish over the keepers out-stretched arm, this put Ormer in front for the first time in the match (2.1) and Weysom got his first goal for his new club.The next goal almost came from a Brandon Wallace corner, which was meet by Archie Drillot’s exquisite bicycle kick, only for a defender to block with the keeper already beaten. Ormer moved up a gear and before long they got a decisive third.

The free scoring Domaille was to get his ninth goal of the season, as he twisted and turned inside Somerset’s box, before bending the ball into the near post (3.1). Ormers were once again showing their bouncebackability skills, as they have done in the past. The tide had well and truly turned from a finely balanced game, to Ormer taking control of their own destiny.

Just before the final whistle was about to sound, Alex Roussel came up with a wonder strike. He found himself 25 yards out, looked up and hit a stunning strike straight into the top corner, to give the Somerset keeper no chance (4.1). As the game came to an end, Ormer will now look forward to the draw and another exciting round of cup football awaits them, somewhere in the UK.

  • Facebook App Icon
  • Twitter App Icon

2016 Ormer FC

This site was designed with the
website builder. Create your website today.
Start Now