Score Line Harsh On Battling Pompey

Ormer FC managed to get their second win in Junior Premier League in as many weekends, against Portsmouth ITC. The match was played at Portsmouth’s home pitch Bayhouse Playing Fields in Gosport, which was a well-manicured grass surface.

The host started the game very brightly and created numerous chances. The first opportunity was a one on one for Pompey’s main striker, but he managed to pull his shot wide of Jack Hamon’s far post. There was another two warning shots for the slow starting Ormers, as the first was a scuffed effort that seemed destined to sneak into the bottom corner and the other just cleared the bar. Ormer then almost gifted Pompey a goal themselves, as Josh Duddy under hit his back pass, in nipped the striker, but again let Ormer of the hook, as his first time shot again missed the target.

There was a rare Ormer attack in which Brandon Wallace set up Joe Adams, who only managed to get the bottom of his studs on the ball and lacked any power to trouble the Pompey goalkeeper. Another break away from Pompey saw a brilliant goal saving tackle from Harry Tough, which would have given the Portsmouth boys a well-deserved lead.

Sometimes in football if you don’t take your chances, you normally get punished and this was one of those occasions. Adams was tackled on the edge of the box and the ball fell kindly to Wallace who cut across the ball from eighteen yards out, the ball sailed high over the keeper and into the net, 1.0 Ormer totally against the run of play.

If Ormer were slow out the blocks in the first quarter, it was totally the opposite in the second, as they were at their attacking best. A Ben Stevens bullet was pushed out by the keeper, only for the quick thinking Wallace to pull the ball back to Keene Domaille, who stabbed home from close range (2.0).

Brandon Weysom made sure Ormers two goal advantage was going to stay intact, with a fantastic last man tackle, which was timed to perfection. Ormer then extended their lead through Wallace, as his cross come shot, flew into the top corner of the net and gave the keeper no chance to react (3.0). The next attack was through the impressive Wallace again, as he surged forward and played in Domaille, he showed fine composure and finished with ease past the helpless keeper (4.0).

Just before half time to Portsmouth’s disbelief, Stevens latched onto a defensive mix up and riffled home into the bulging net (5.0). The game had turned on its head in a mad twenty minute spell, Ormer showed their class, but it was still a bitter pill to swallow for the very competitive Portsmouth side.

Quarter three was as tight as the score line showed, as Finley Du Port’s assist for Domaille’s hat-trick was the solitary goal in the twenty minute period (6.0). The last quarter saw an end to end affair, but again it was Ormer who struck first. Adams drove through the midfield and played the ball out to Stevens, who still had loads to do, but with confidence high he took one step across the defender and hit a low accurate fizzing shot, that flew into the far corner (7.0).

Portsmouth’s Jimmy Mumford scored a screamer of his own, as an Ormer attempted clearance fell straight to him and all of twenty yards out, took aim and fired into the top corner to give Hamon no chance (7.1). It was quite fitting to see man of the match Wallace finish off proceeds with a magnificent strike. Another blistering breakaway by Wallace, saw him cut inside his marker, before unleashing a curling, dipping effort that flew in off the far post (8.1).

The score line did not really reflect how close the teams were for the best part of the match, but as Ormer have come to learn in The Junior Premier League, you have to take your chances at this level. Next up for Guernsey’s elite youth, is a tough first round cup tie away to inform North Somerset on Saturday October 1st.

  • Facebook App Icon
  • Twitter App Icon

2016 Ormer FC

This site was designed with the
website builder. Create your website today.
Start Now