Extra Time Heartache For Ormer FC

Ormer FC took on Kidderminster Harriers for the right to be crowned JPL U12 Cup winners at the prestigious WBA Academy on a perfect Saturday afternoon for football. A sizable crowd had assembled before kick-off, primarily from the Kidderminster area who gave vociferous support to their team throughout the match.

It was clear from the start that this was to be a contest between two equally matched teams, but with different styles of play. Kidderminster were very direct in their manner of play, trying to utilise the power and pace of their forward players, whilst the Ormers produced their usual brand of pass and move football.

The game started at a frenetic pace with Kidderminster trying to press the advantage. From one of their early forays Jack Hamon had to be alert to tip over a shot after a long throw into the penalty area. Largely the game was largely being played in the Ormer half of the pitch, but a combination of covering midfield players and the back line of Tough, Smith and Duddy restricted Kidderminster to harmless shots from range. This foundation allowed the Ormers to find their way into the game and they began to take the game to Kidderminster with Wallace almost breaking through after great build up play. Du Port also found time and space to send a shot fizzing past the far post.

However the break through did eventually come for Kidderminster who scored from a set piece routine. A long throw was launched into the penalty area and the Ormer players were exposed by watching the ball rather than picking up attacking runners, resulting in a header at the far post which gave Hamon no chance.

The setback sparked the Ormers into life and for the remainder of the half they took the game to the opposition. The movement of the Ormers was now creating huge problems for the Kidderminster defensive unit who were increasingly utilising robust tactics, culminating in a number of bad tackles which would have implications later in the game. Following a Kidderminster attack the Ormers broke at pace with a series of passes between Adams, Rousell and Domaille allowed Domaille to ghost past the last defender and slot the ball past the on rushing keeper.

By now the Ormers were in full flow and one soon became two. This time Adams played a one two with Domaille who used his strength to hold off the covering defender before once again coolly slotting past the helpless keeper. Half time Ormer FC 2 Kidderminster Harriers 1.

The second half saw the introduction of Ben Stevens to the forward line and the Ormers continued where they left off from the first half. The chances were coming thick and fast for the Ormers to kill the game off. First a Stevens header from a corner crashed off one post rolled along the line and was cleared to safety. The same player almost found the net again, after a through ball split the Kidderminster defence, but his lob went just over the bar. Within seconds the Ormers had fashioned another chance with a slick passing move, this time Adams was through on goal but his effort agonisingly cleared the bar. Domaille was the next to get in on the act and after a flurry of passes around the Kidderminster area his shot crashed off the bar. Unfortunately for Stevens his last action of the game was to be unceremoniously smashed in the back and sustain a head injury which would see him take no further part.

Despite their dominance it was Kidderminster who scored the equalising goal. Following a break away the forward was able to use his pace and strength to hold off Smith and fire across Hamon into the far corner. The remainder of the half saw a number of half chances for both sides but neither were able to capitalise and the game moved into extra-time. Unfortunately the Ormers were forced to re-organise as Adams limped out of the game.

The turning point of the game came early on in extra-time as Smith sustained an injury which would see him replaced and a reshuffle in the Ormer back line. Man of the match Smith had coped admirably with the formidable size and pace of the Kidderminster forward. However Kidderminster were soon to capitalise when another long throw was fired into the Ormer area. The resulting wrestling match saw the ball bundled over the line and Kidderminster were back ahead.

The second period of extra-time saw the Ormers take on a more attacking formation as they went in search of an equalier. Playing with just two at the back they were caught on the break resulting in an easy finish for Kidderminster. However the Ormers didn’t let their heads drop and fought back to claim their third goal with Domaille claimed his hat trick after latching on to a through ball and firing past the keeper.

With time running out the Ormers went in search of an equaliser to drag the game in to a penalty shoot-out. However the clock was against them, with Kidderminster running out 4-3 winners.

  • Facebook App Icon
  • Twitter App Icon

2016 Ormer FC

This site was designed with the
website builder. Create your website today.
Start Now