Arsenal Oxford Bring The Ormers Back Down To Earth

Ormer FC crashed to their first defeat of the season in the JPL against a strong Arsenal Oxford side who were bolstered by the return of three England Futsul players including the outstanding goalkeeper Timmy Mungall. In fact Mungall was to play a prominent part throughout the contest, continually denying the Ormer players with a string of fabulous saves.

Ormer were quickly on the offensive and settled into their normal pattern of play by moving the ball quickly and trying to overload the opposition in key areas of the pitch. The first chance came in the opening minutes as Joe Adams dribbled his way past a couple of Arsenal defenders and passed the ball across the penalty area to the on rushing Ben Stevens. Unluckily for Stevens his ferocious first time shot cannoned of the right-hand post of the helpless Mungall and away to safety. It wasn't long before another chance was fashioned for the Ormers. This time following a free kick, Adams sent the ball up and over the wall towards the far post but the sprawling keeper was equal to the task.

Despite being on the front foot for much of the opening quarter the warning signs were there for Ormer as the Arsenal boys gradually found their way in to the game. Ultimately is was to be a defensive mistake that allowed Arsenal to take the lead. A lack of communication between the Ormer players allowed the fleet of foot Kieran Day to nip in between defenders from the left hand side and intercept a pass. His first touch took him in to the Ormer penalty area and his second was a rifled shot across the helpless Hamon into the far corner of the net.

The second quarter progressed very much as the first, with Ormer having plenty of possession of the ball and creating numerous chances. Once again the Arsenal keeper was equal to shots from Domaille, Du Port and Roussel. He also showed his ability to deal with aerial crosses as he was tested by a swirling left foot cross from Brandon Wallace following a fine run down the left hand side. However, as in the first quarter Ormer contributed to their own downfall when a wayward pass in midfield presented a chance for Freddie Kennedy. A burst of pace took him into the Ormer penalty area and his left foot shot seemed destined for the far corner. Hamon in the Ormer goal sensing the danger flung him-self across the goal to make an excellent save. Unfortunately with the Ormer defence asleep his parried shot fell to Xavier Carroll who needed no second invitation to pass the ball into an empty net.

For the first time this season the Guernsey players found themselves two goals down at the half way stage despite having fashioned the majority of chances. Consequently, other than showing a little more composure in front of goal the instructions from the Ormer coaching staff remained the same. Unfortunately, rather than taking the game to the opposition the Ormer players started the third quarter far too slowly and were punished with two quick fire strikes which finished the game as a contest. The third goal once again came from a pass that didn't find its intended target and was quickly moved forward by the Arsenal players. A final pass allowed Freddie Kennedy far too much time and space inside the Ormer penalty area and the ball was quickly dispatched past Hamon. Three rapidly became four and once again its was Kennedy who found himself on the end of a pinpoint cross and cooly slotted the ball home with a right foot finish.

This setback seemed to provoke some life into the Ormer attack. Following some excellent football from backline through the phases of the pitch chances were created for Du Port and Wallace. Once again the formidable Arsenal keeper was on hand to deal with the danger and prevent Ormer from getting on the score sheet.

  • Facebook App Icon
  • Twitter App Icon

2016 Ormer FC

This site was designed with the
website builder. Create your website today.
Start Now