Ormer Fire Five Against Arsenal Oxford

Over the first half of the season, the one thing that you would not normally associate Ormer FC with and that is fast starts to matches. The last three matches Ormer have been involved in, have all come down to last quarter shoot outs, but this was not going to be one of those. The Ormer boys came flying out the blocks from the very first whistle in their latest match in The Junior Premier League, to which Arsenal Oxford struggled to get to grips with until it was too late. The first three quarters was nothing short of scintillating pass and move football, with loads of attacking intent from the Guernsey lads.

Quarter one had only just began when Keene Domaille whipped in a beautiful ball across the six yard box, to which Finley Du Port came charging in on the keeper, but the whistle had blown for offside before anything could materialize. The pressure continued from the Ormers and they eventually turned all their possession into a goal. The hardworking Joe Adams skipped past his marker before playing the ball across the edge of the box into the path of Du Port, he hit the ball across debutant keeper Darby Wood who got a hand to the ball, but could not keep it out of the net 1.0 Ormer. This only encouraged Ormer to keep moving the ball at a high tempo and pressing their opponents high up the pitch at every opportunity. Brilliant interchanging passing from Harry Tough, Du Port and Adams, set up a great chance for Domaille who caught his shot well, but the impressive Darby tipped the ball over the bar and to safety.

Adams was at it again, as he drove at the Arsenal backline, this time he cut the ball back for the classy Alex Roussel, who hit his shot first time, Darby was again equal to the strike and made another fine save to keep Ormer at bay and make sure his team ended the quarter only 1.0 down.

The second quarter started with Brandon Wallace testing keeper Darby as he bent in a corner with loads of pace, it did cause him a problem as he pushed the ball out into the middle of his box, but only as far as Domaille, who did not need a second invitation, as he rammed the ball high into the roof of the net 1.0 (2.0) Ormers.

Adams was to produce some amazing individual skill, that a one Lionel Messi would have been proud of, he picked the ball up in his own half and skipped between to midfielders, before blasting past a defender, he then cut inside another defender, before dropping his shoulder and wrong footing the last covering defender, this was to become even more impressive as the keeper came out, Adams squared the ball for Domaille to side foot home, fantastic to watch 2.0 Ormers (3.0).

There were another few half chances for Roussel, Adams and the lively Wallace, which did not come to anything. One player that did come close to scoring was Archie Drillot, with Darby out of position and kicking the ball just inside his own half way line, Drillot took it upon himself to have ago from distance, the ball looked in as soon as it left his boot, but eventually hit the foot of the post. Wallace sent another fine ball into the box, Roussel’s shot was blocked, but fell kindly to Jamie Smith, who was having another fine game, he put his foot through the ball, which gave Darby no chance 3.0 Ormer (4.0). This brought the match to its halftime conclusion and if there was ever the perfect forty minutes to be had, than Ormer had probably just played it.

Quarter three did not see as much goal mouth action, but Ormer were still at their dominant best, their pass and movement off the ball must have been a very pleasing sight for head coach Ed Adams. Domaille snatched at the first real chance of the quarter after he was set up by Barney Taylor, which fizzed high and wide of the near post. It was from the boot of the dominant Roussel that had Darby scrambling across his goal and pulling off another fine save.

There was to be another Ormer goal, which was set up by Domaille, he hooked the ball into the area, which a defender managed to get the faintest of touches on the ball, but Du Port was quick to react and cut across the ball to fire into the top corner, to which Darby was powerless to do anything about 1.0 Ormer (5.0).

There was to be a mini revival in the final quarter from the under strength Arsenal Oxford side, but it was to be, too little, too late. Arsenal started to move the ball around and was getting on top of the Ormers defence for the first time in the game. It was no surprise when the Arsenal winger smashed a cross-come shot into the box, this caught everyone out, as the ball came off the foot of the post. The pressure kept coming from Arsenal and again they were to hit the post for a second time in as many minutes, as the Ormer goal came under siege. The Arsenal striker shot on the run, which cannoned off the post and luckily for Ormer to safety.

Ormer started to get back in the match, but that did not last for long as Arsenal got their just rewards. This time Arsenal cut through the heart of the Ormer midfield and defence, with some quick slick counter attacking football, the move was finally finished off, with a smart finish from Freddie Copping, which went past the outstretched hands of Ormers keeper Jack Hamon (5.1). Alex Roussel still found time and space after great work from Josh Duddy down the left, but his firmly hit shot was well tipped over by Darby. That was to be the final action of the match, as Ormer inflicted Arsenal Oxford only their second defeat of the season in all competitions.

Ormer FC need to be playing this quality standard of football, if they are to have any real chance of finishing in the top 8 of the league at the end of the season, as they did in the league cup. There are still seven teams with 100 % record at this stage of the season, Ormer have won three and drawn one of their four league matches to date.

  • Facebook App Icon
  • Twitter App Icon

2016 Ormer FC

This site was designed with the
website builder. Create your website today.
Start Now