Ormer Victorious In First Inter-Island Clash

It was the first time ever that two Island teams have meet in the Nerf Junior Premier League and it was the boys from Guernsey who came out on top. Ormer FC travelled to the Isle of Wight in full confidence, hoping to keep their unbeaten run going. The game was played at the Cowes Enterprise College football pitch, with the weather conditions over cast and drizzly. Ormer FC started the first quarter at a high tempo pace and tried to press Isle of Wight’s players at every opportunity. The first goal came courtesy of the pressing, as Joe Adams forced a defensive error which he was only too glad to receive. He drove at the last defender before side footing to the oncoming Alex Roussel, who hit a first time shoot, a covering defender managed to get a great block-in, but there was no mistake from Roussel with the rebound, as he rammed it home from close range 1.0 Ormer.

Brandon Wallace almost made it two, as he hit the post from ten yards out, after good work from Keene Domaille. Ormer FC who were playing in their new red away kit for the very first time, could have doubled their lead again, as Adams was sent through one on one with the IOW keeper Ronnie Mackenzie, but he pulled his shot wide of the far post. Adams then set up Wallace who tried to hit the ball first time as it came across his body, his first time shot went just over the bar from the edge of the box. This time the second did come from the same combination, only this time Wallace was assisting Adams. The lively winger skipped past his maker and drove at pace to leave the defence trailing, he looked up and pulled the ball back for Adams, who took one touch and fired across the keeper with aplomb 2.0 Ormer.

The quarter was not all one way traffic, as Campbell Laird was trying to get his side a foot hold in the game, his hard work almost paid off, as he sent his striker through on goal, the quick thinking Ormer Keeper Jack Hamon raced to the edge of his box and cleared the danger. Jamie Smith then got caught in possession, being Ormers last defender this again meant another one on one situation for Hamon and again he was equal to the challenge as he saved well.

Quarter two and three were very tight, as neither team gave the other any space or time on the ball, both sides closed down well, but this was making the game a little scrappy as both teams were giving the ball away needlessly. The defensive players of both teams were on top of the attacking players and this was so much in evidence, as Harry Tough put in a massive tackle on an Isle of Wight striker, letting him know, that anything the home side were going to get, they would have to work hard for. Wallace hit the post in quarter two for the second time in the game, as Finley Du Port held the ball up well, laid it back to Wallace, only this time Mackenzie tipped the ball onto the post, great strike, great save. The Isle of Wight keeper kept his side in the match, as he pulled off saves from Domaille and Du Port. The keeper also had to watch the ball fly past his far post, as Barnaby Taylor worked himself some space and pulled the trigger. The only other thing that happened in these two quarters of any note, was Domaille and Wallace hitting the post in consecutive shots, this being Wallace’s third time of the match that the woodwork saved IOW, both quarter two and three finished 0.0.

The fourth and final quarter was Ormers best of the game, as the pace and movement returned to their play. If the Isle of Wight were thinking of any come back at all, that thought was well and truly put to bed by the impressive Domaille. He jinked his way past a couple of defenders and drilled the ball high into the net, which gave Mackenzie no chance to react 3.0 Ormers. The Ormer boys went for it and started pulling the Isle of Wight team all over the pitch, it was no surprise that another goal followed. An IOW defender under hit a pass out to the wing and Wallace was on to it like a flash, he went past his man and played a lovely ball into the busy Domaille and with his confidence high, side footed the ball with coolness past Mackenzie for his second of the match 4.0 Ormer.

Any threat at the other end was always kept to a bare minimum, as Archie Drillot marshalled the Ormer defence well. The fifth and final goal came from the boot of Wallace who very much deserved his goal, after hitting the woodwork three times previously. The ball was played out to Du Port who managed to get to the ball before the covering defenders, he managed to hold off the defenders advances, before rolling the ball into Wallace’s stride, he smashed home an effort from the edge of the box that the helpless Keeper could only watch as the net bulged 5.0 Ormer.

The Ormer FC boys are still one of only three teams out of the leagues fifty one, to still have a 100 % record intact. Next up for Ormer FC is a reverse fixture against the same opponents this coming Saturday, where they will have to do it all again.

  • Facebook App Icon
  • Twitter App Icon

2016 Ormer FC

This site was designed with the
website builder. Create your website today.
Start Now